[Lazarus] Release schedule and policy

Bernd Kreuss prof7bit at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 23 14:41:21 CEST 2010

On 22.10.2010 19:35, Juha Manninen wrote:

> emphasis would move from the release itself to its
> maintenance.

Exactly.

This summarizes the whole problem of the Lazarus release policy and the
only proper fix for it in one sentence.

Releases should be maintained *after* the release and not before it or
there will never be any release at all.

I know you are all perfectionists, I am one too, perfectionists strive
for perfection but at the same time know exactly that it won't ever be
reached. Release is always subconsciously associated with perfection, so
it will never be allowed to happen. This cycle must be broken.

Also I suggest replacing the 0.9 in the version number with 1.0
*immediately* and *without* further thinking about it. This would IMHO
be the most important and overdue patch of all and it would not cause
any regressions! And then make a release next week! It would remove this
psychological barrier (and all the discussions that are related to it)
and allow the project to continue again.

Bernd