[Lazarus] How to produce a tone at Tone frequency for duration, MSecs (milliseconds)

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 11:03:58 CEST 2010

On 03/09/10 09:56, Sven Barth wrote:
> Am 03.09.2010 10:24, schrieb Michael Schnell:
>> On 09/02/2010 06:42 PM, Peter E Williams wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, but I am using Linux Ubuntu. As someone else made the point, it
>>> apparently can only be done if I have root access to write
>>> to /dev/console.
>> Of course Linux does have a sound subsystem that can be fed with audio
>> data by user programs via a decent API: ALSA.
>>> I didn't want a component that I need root privileges
>>> to run.
>> :)
>
> If it is installed... -.-
>
> That's the biggest problem with the Linux distrubtions "ecosystem" in my
> opinion (but also one of its strengths): you can't rely on anything.
> Some distros don't install this, some don't install that, some enable
> setuid on beep (Debian), some don't (ArchLinux). No wonder that those
> systems use things like autoconf :P

Exactly the opposite.  You can rely on _anything_ you want.  Just add a
dependency in your package to pull in the package you need.  Using beep
as an example is contrived, since it's almost always the wrong thing to
use, and I presume that's why there's only one package in debian that
depends on it.

Henry