[Lazarus] fppkg and lazarus packages

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 12:30:15 CEST 2010

On 3 September 2010 12:09, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> Why does FPC still use .pp anyway? That's from FPC pre v1 days (as far
>> as I remember, from Florian's history lesson).
>
> Nono. .pp is the official Free Pascal source extension.

Oh?  I thought .pp was only used when the language Florian created was
still called Pascal++ and the compiler for that language was FPK.

> We support .pas for Dephi/TP compatibility. The compiler uses .pas because
> initially it was compiled using TP.

OK, more information added to my history lesson. :-)

Maybe somebody should notify all authors of text editors like Kate,
gEdit etc. to add .pp to the Pascal syntax highlighter filter mask.
gEdit to this day doesn't know how to handle .pp files and I have to
keep modifying it's configs. The same goes for Midnight Commander's
built-in editor. Anyway, I think it's a bit silly using .pp for what
is clearly the Object Pascal language. My 2c.

  - Graeme -