[Lazarus] TStringList : how should it behave on Delimiter = ' ' ?

Vladimir Zhirov vvzh.lists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 10:41:03 CEST 2010

Lukasz Sokol wrote:
> > For a good understanding: TStrings is not a substitute for a CSV
> > kind of format. Any attempt at using it for that is doomed to fail.
> > Use a proper CSV format handling class if you need CSV. For
> > example, the sdfdataset unit delivered with FPC contains one such
> > class.
> >
> Well it works for 'simplest' case(s); I'll have a look at sdfdataset
> (time allowing).

You may also want to have a look at CSVDocument class
(http://wiki.freepascal.org/CsvDocument). I tried to handle all corner
cases when implementing it, including line breaks within quoted text.
It is likely to be somewhat slower than sdfdataset though, since it
uses variable-length string values instead of fixed-length.