[Lazarus] Threads in Lazarus code base

Juha Manninen (gmail) juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:06:55 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 11:48:09 Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> Threads are a thing of the past as well. I've been programming threads
> since years. There is nothing exciting about them, mostly they are a pain.

Correct but now there is no better way to implement parallelism. I know some
languages have new syntax for it which is actually exciting. Maybe some day
FPC will support such syntax but that is future. Now is now.

> Programming threads is error-prone, and needs careful design of your
> classes. I doubt that the lazarus IDE is very thread-safe, and therefor I
> think that the lazarus devels do not enable threading by default.
>
> This is also why the UseCThreads is there. There is no need to drag in
> thread support if you don't use it: it creates additional dependencies
> which you simply don't need if you don't program using threads.

Yes but now I want to use it. I don't care if other parts of the IDE are
"thread-safe". My thread is running only when the user is reading one settings
dialog and it is done in a safe way. It simply makes the program better.

What would you suggest? How to commit the code so that we don't get complaints
about RunErrors?

Juha