[Lazarus] Threads in Lazarus code base

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 10:57:45 CEST 2010

On 17 September 2010 10:43, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> But the possible side effects were pointed out, and the consequences that
> usage of threads has IN THE IDE. And the opinion was raised that if there is
> a way to accomplishing the same task with our without using threads, then
> "no threads" is preferred for the IDE.

That's a bit unfair. Mattias already stated that he is planning some
feature that will use multi-threading. So I really can't see why Juha
can't implement his feature using multi-threading - especially if the
implementation is simpler, produces better UI results and is simply
more intuitive than idle timers and such.

MSEide, Delphi IDE, Visual Studio, MonoDevelop etc all use multiple
threads in the IDE (it's common practice because the IDE is a perfect
case for using threads - doing multiple tasks in the background while
keeping the UI snappy). Why not Lazarus IDE?!? I really don't see what
the fuss is about.

  - Graeme -