[Lazarus] Is there a way to choose with fpc to use in lazarus command?

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 20:34:42 CEST 2010

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:43:35 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

>> 1) Can I work in Windows or Ubuntu on the same project? I.e. are there differences
>> in the IDE/compiler between the two work environments?
>
>No. Linking is slightly slower on windows.

What I really wanted to know is if it is possible to work in Windows and still
make the program run in both Windows and Linux. If that is not possible then
the next way would be to develop in one side, check in the code, open the
other side and update the code and finally load and compile on that other side.
So for this to work there must be no differences between the code on Windows and on Linux...

>> 2) Can I compile in either environment for a third runtime platform?
>
>Yes, but not easily.

Where is it easier to compile for an embedded board? On Ubuntu maybe because there
one is already in Linux???

>> I am especially looking for a GUI programming environment where the target system
>> is Embedded Linux on ARM or Atom platform boards.
>
>I recommend Lazarus on Ubuntu, cross-compile to arm. There is a FAQ available.

Almost answers the previous question!

>> 3) I need to access the serial communications channel from my programs, so what is
>> the support available for RS232 communications in Lazarus/FPC?
>
>There is the serial unit.

Is it the same on Linux and Windows?

>> 4) The programs planned will also need to produce graphic rendering of the data
>> retrieved from the acquisition system, so what is the graphic capabilities of
>> Lazarus/FPC on the Linux platform?
>
>Virtually the same as at least Delphi 7.

That is good, my main work platform the last decade or so...

BosseB