[Lazarus] Posting to the list via the Gmane news gateway???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 12:45:46 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Lukasz Sokol <el.es.cr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/09/2010 10:38, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Lukasz Sokol <el.es.cr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
> [...]
>>> I post messages using my subscription to the mailing list via email, and
>>> read them using gmane :_) (I have email sending off in mailing list settings)
>>>
> Please read the above carefully ;)

That is what I tried too and of course my initial posts could be sent that
way. But in order to reply to a comment on a thread I need to do "reply"
and this is what is not working via Forte Agent newsreader even though
I have set my gmail address into the Agent configuration and the first time
I posted I received a confirmation email from Gmane in order for them to
forward my postings to the lazarus mail list.
Such postings never make it...
If I just post a new message via GMail (web page) then the thread is not
preserved and the reply gets moved out of context....

So I had to enable the email delivery so I get the replies into my mail account,
but this leads to a flood of mail that I am not interested in too...
And it only works when I am at home, see below.

>>> Posting via nntp on gmane has proven to be problematic (with the
>>> gmail = googlemail duality - gmane converted @gmail to @googlemail (or v/v) and
>>> the mailing list did not tolerate that).
>>>
>> But it means having to activate the mail delivery option in the list
>> and thereby getting
>> a *lot* of messages into the regular inbox...
>> Otherwise it is very difficult to reply to the messages.
>> I also use gmail and that may be why the GMane system does not work?
>> If I change to a different account, will I then have better luck?
>
> It wasn't gmane (only).
> address (putting it into gmane From: field) was @gmail (could that be gmane trying to
> be smart ? Dunno. I have in fact received a complaint from the mailing list server that
> the @googlemail address was seen used and it wasn't recognized.)
>
> So to rephrase my setup :
> - I have the gmane.comp.ide.lazarus.general set as nntp subscription,
> - I have the lazarus at lists.lazarus.freepascal.org subscription with email delivery OFF
> - I hit 'reply' on the nntp view in Thunderbird, then manually replace 'Newsgroup:' to 'To:'
> and enter the lazarus at lists address (Thunderbird hints it nicely)

OK, I see you are using Thunderbird (an email client) as your news reader!
This may explain why you can work with mail delivery off.
Unfortunately I cannot do this in Agent since it is not an email client and
additionally at work I am behind a corporate firewall that does not
allow outside email
access, except via http (like GMail). So I cannot send anything except via my
work email and I don't want to compromise that by publishing the address on a
mail list/news system...

I will have to try and subscribe using a completely different mail account.

Bo B