[Lazarus] Build configuration

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 12:51:31 CEST 2010

On 27 September 2010 11:13, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> 2> If the patch needs improvement, then it will be said and it looses
> this target unless a new patch is provided.

I know you distinguished between feature and patch to cover yourself
with how the process works. So the feature aspect is still left
unknown. Either way, lets take one example, where I think I did
everything I could, but got nowhere. I implemented a feature (global
file filters config screen), got feedback, made changes, submitted
another patch, got feedback, discussed my reasons for
implementation.... then...nothing further is said or done. Feature and
patches just gaining dust - and probably doesn't even apply to the
latest code anymore.

  http://mantis.freepascal.org/view.php?id=15679

Similar thing happened to other patches too...

> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Development_Process#What_we_are_planing_to_do

Telling us what is planned for 1.0 or 1.2 means nothing. As far as I'm
concerned, those versions will never happen. GTK1 was a planned for
1.0...Lazarus releases took so long GTK2 was implemented...Lazarus
releases took so long GTK2 became the default.... Lazarus releases
took so long, now GTK1 is marked as deprecated even before 1.0 was
reached.

> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_0.9.30_todo (not very

Now this is the information I'm talking about, but it is so vague and
outdated, it also means nothing. No target release date or nothing, so
no real goals to strive for. Maybe the core developers don't know
about this page, or there is simply no coordination between core
developers. Everybody developing in there own little bubble doesn't do
the project any good. Even looking at previous release "todo" wiki
pages, there are still many items not completed, yet releases were
made. So these todo pages seems more like subtle hints or suggestions,
than a clear plan or roadmap.

As for the release notes wiki page, that is things that have already
been done, not things that was planned for 0.9.30.

> One can just ask. I think that all features which were planned for
> 0.9.30 were already done. The only things left are:

It should be published, not only given on request. But now you
answered by questions anyway, nobody has a clue what's going on. I
consider you one of the core team members, so expected you to know
what was the goals of the next release, yet you don't know or are
uncertain regarding what features or bugfixes were supposed to make it
in 0.9.30.

> 1> Wait for FPC 2.4.2

Why? Lazarus is an independent project from FPC. Surely if the 0.9.30
release is based off the fpc "stable" fixes branch that should be
fine. Do you guys time Lazarus releases based on GDB releases too?
After all, GDB is just as important as FPC is to Lazarus.

Anyway, I'll discontinue this discussion because I think we have all
been down this road before, and we know the road leads nowhere. If you
want to continue, email me in private.

  - Graeme -