[Lazarus] Using Lazarus on Embedded Linux?

Paul Breneman list2010 at BrenemanLabs.com
Tue Sep 28 01:24:27 CEST 2010

Hi Michael,

> ... I intend to port Async Pro to Lazarus/Linux/ARM, once we
> start working on the project (which we are raving about since years, so
> don't hold your breath ;) )

I've spent many years with AsyncPro (even 5 years as an APro TPX person)
and I would not recommend porting APro.  It has too much legacy code in
too many layers and is full of Win32 oddities.  But maybe you've dug
into this a bit and see a way to port just the higher layers?

I do have threaded code using SynaSer on Linux that is almost identical
to threaded code on Win32 that is compatible with APro and SynaSer so I
can switch between the two libraries on Windows.  Of course that is just
for basic serial port stuff.  If you need protocols or other APro
features that makes things more difficult.

Paul Breneman
www.dbReplication.com - VCL database replication components
www.TurboControl.com - Hardware and software development services
- Educational programming project for environment monitoring
- Information on using FreePascal for embedded systems
- Support information for the TurboPower open source libraries