[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 00:45:56 CEST 2011

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>  > If a global config is found, but is invalid/incompatible, a local
> config should be created.
>

> Define invalid.

That's up to the (already existing) IDE code.

>  > About primary and secondary config paths:
>  > At least on my Windows the Lazarus directory is listed as the secondary
>  > config path. [I cannot check this for Linux, having only an old Lazarus
>  > version without display of the config]
>  > This indicates to me that the IDE already is aware of the Lazarus
>  > (source or EXE?) directory, so that it can/should look there for a
>  > config anyway, before looking into the default directory.
>

> Windows does not have a location for application config templates. The
> first windows laz devel has set the scp to the lazarus directory for
> windows. No one has changed/questioned this yet.

I'm only curious how the IDE can know about that directory, without
reading an config file. That's why I assumed that the EXE directory is
used for this path, so that the IDE could read a config from there.

BTW, my experiments indicate that putting an environmentoptions.xml into
the Lazarus directory (scp) will make the IDE use these settings, but
only if there exists no config in the default location. The full config
then is written back to the *default* location (pcp), not into the
Lazarus directory.

That's why I'd appreciate some information about the usage of the
primary/secondary config paths by the IDE.

Why does the IDE store an updated config *always* in the default
directory, instead in the same directory from which (parts of) the
config have been loaded before?

DoDi