[Lazarus] screen.cursor := crHourglass and Linux

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:55:00 CEST 2011

On 19/04/2011 08:44, Vincent Snijders wrote:

> I thought it was freed just like Delphi (so no resource leak), but not
> at the same time (which is undocumented) as Delphi.

That's exactly the issue I am referring too. Under Delphi the temporary
interface reference gets freed only when the interface goes out of scope
- example when a procedure/function block ends. FPC I believe frees the
temporary interface reference immediately (or something undefined - I
can't remember).

Even though the "freeing of a temporary interface" is not documented in
Delphi per se, its behaviour has been consistent for over a decade.
There are even 3rd party products based on that behaviour (Raize
CodeSite extensions etc). So even though it is not documented, it's
behaviour is well known, understood and has always been consistent, no
matter which version of Delphi you use.

But yes, I understand the FPC developers point of view too.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/