[Lazarus] Determining OS

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Aug 1 12:28:37 CEST 2011

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 04:43:44PM +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> 2011/7/31 ik <idokan at gmail.com>:
>>> Please note that system.d is Fedora implementation (v15) so for Linux you
>>> need to detect also the Linux distro, and that's a bit more complicated.
>> Any distro worth using should support the LSB standards. With that
>> being said, you can use the 'lsb_release' command to find out exactly
>> what distribution and version is being used.
>
> Not installed by default on Fedora 15:
>
> [marcov at atlas ~]$ lsb_release
> bash: lsb_release: command not found...
>
> so you can't really rely on it. Apparently the standard is optional.

I've just come across its being announced on the Debian ML, circa 2000.
Somebody immediately pointed out that it was curious that the copyright
had been assigned to the FSF rather than to the LSB project itself.

So it looks as though lsb_release is potentially a useful tool, but is
not actually part of the LSB standard.

http://lists.debian.org/lsb-discuss/2000/09/msg00004.html

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd