[Lazarus] I thought it was solved -- TQuery.Open very slow.

Howard Lee Harkness howard.lee.harkness at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 23:21:18 CEST 2011

I have a dummy database and complete program I can let you look at if
you would like. Nothing particularly proprietary about the code; it's
a trivial application. The database is the sensitive part, and I have
it dummied out.

I posted the schema a few days ago, and I've added a zipcode table to
that. I had initially thought I had solved the performance problem,
but when I got to the client, and ran it on his machine (which is
about 100x slower than mine). I had not noticed the lag on my machine,
but it was really awful on his.

The whole project is in a 1.6Mb zip, expands to just over 7Mb. Would
you like me to email it directly to you, or post it?

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Howard Lee Harkness wrote:
>
>> I thought I had fixed the performance problem, but it is still there.
>> What I am doing is opening 3 dependent queries after selecting a
>> record in the main table. It takes 8 or 9 seconds to do the 3 calls to
>> TQuery.Open. Any clues as to what I might be doing wrong? The sample
>> queries done from sqlite3.exe return instantaneously, so I am
>> concluding that I have not set something up correctly in the LCL.
>
> Can you provide test data and a sample program ? Without that, it's very
> hard to give recommendations.
>
> The architecture of the sqlite components is not fundamentally different
> from
> the other database, and those do work instantaneously.
>
> Michael.
>
> --

Howard Lee Harkness
(214) 390-4896