[Lazarus] 'with' is evil, isn't it?

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Fri Aug 5 11:23:19 CEST 2011

Al 03/08/11 17:08, En/na Lukasz Sokol ha escrit:

> Except that in the with construct the named alias will not be an
> instance of variable, but rather a way of _naming_ it shorter, an _alias_;
> I agree that making it a variable will create all sorts of problems
> regarding memory management, lifetime management and so on; but
> the named alias would only live in the block following the
> with, and could be forced to be strong-typed too. Think plaintext substitution
> before compilation...

And it's not a new idea either: texas instruments' pascal for the 9995 had it

(though it was 20 years ago and I don't remember the exact syntax, I think it was

  with a=some.structure,b=some.other.structure do

instead of

  with a:=some.structure,b:=some.other.structure

but my memory could be wrong).

I use "with" all the time and I miss that feature (though at the time an
edit,compile,link,burn the eprom cycle took half a day, so it was more
needed then than it is now).

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.133)  Fax +34 93 5883007