[Lazarus] Delphi XE2 uses FPC, plus VCL just not portable

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 20:25:57 CEST 2011

On 7 August 2011 18:18, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> >From what I saw of FireMonkey so far (admitted little): I don't think

I found some YouTube videos demoing the Delphi Mac OSX support and
FireMonkey based apps.

> gui concepts as mobiles or tablets require. So the situation is
> different here and FireMonkey has good chances to be a success.

Has anybody registered a Lazarus4FireMonkey project on SourceForge
yet. Let the cloning begin. ;-)

And just so everybody else also knows. FireMonkey is NOT compatible
with VCL. And NO there is no conversion tool for VCL apps. You have to
rewrite your app. And the UI is uniform (consistent in look and feel)
on all platforms. Meaning it looks identical on all platforms. If you
make your TButton green with blue text, it will be green with blue
text an Windows, Mac OSX, iOS etc.

[rant]
Now Embarcadero p**sed me off even more. They have this WORLD TOUR,
demoing what's new in Delphi XE2. Yeah, world tour my ass. That big
continent in the middle of a world map - AFRICA - it's not part of the
world as far as Embarcadero is concerned. Not a single event in the
whole African continent! At least in the days of Borland Delphi, they
recognized Africa as part of the world, and had regular events here in
South Africa.
[/rant]

  - Graeme -