[Lazarus] Console App Development

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Aug 12 18:43:18 CEST 2011

On 12/08/2011 17:28, Henry Vermaak wrote:
> On 12/08/11 17:09, Martin wrote:
>> On 12/08/2011 16:16, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>> But as I also list, opening 208 units, the speed in MSEide is near
>>> instant compared to Lazarus IDE (any version of Lazarus, old or new).
>>
>> 15 secs for 200 units are NOT a bad time. And btw, older lazarus was
>> slower, there was recent work.
>
> It's not a bad time.  It's a _terrible_ time.
>
> hcv at technical09:~/source/freepascal/latest/packages/univint/src$ time
> gvim "+qa" -fp *
> 450 files to edit
>
> real    0m3.433s
> user    0m3.110s
> sys    0m0.208s
>
> This is with syntax highlighting, everything opened in tabs.  I wonder
> how fast lazarus will open all the files in univint...

I don't have a copy of gvim.

I can't compare the quality and amount of features. How well the
highlighting deals with the various fpc constructs, if it provides
folding, if it provides codetool like pascal context sensitive tools, ....

Yes there are many editrors that are faster, (and many that are slower,
but that's now excuse). But many of the comparisations are apples and
bananas, they compare 2 products, that only share a minority of features
(though this minority may just be the part with the highest visibility)

Mind: "not bad" => that does neither mean "excellent", nor say it is  on
the top ranks.  As I said there had been improvements (in the last 12
month). There is room for more, sure.
But looking at the overall:
- opening several 100 files is rare. (yeah some people only open, never
close, and next time they reload they open all of them again => but how
often to you edit e4ach of 200 files on one work day?)
- Yet it is possible, and unless you need to restart the ide several
times an hour AND load all the files each times, it is not a major issue
(it may be to a very small minority of people
So from this, there is no major priority in requiring to speed this up.
There is no denial that it would be nice, but no terribly high
requirement either.