[Lazarus] Should Lazarus and FPC release library updates separately from product updates?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 13 18:44:37 CEST 2011

On 12.08.2011 17:40, Alexander Klenin wrote:
> 2011/8/12 Frank Church<vfclists at gmail.com>:
>> Whenever updates are made it is difficult to tell whether they are due to
>> updates or fixes in the libraries, ie FCL, LCL etc or the product ie the
>> Lazarus IDE and the FreePascal language and compiler.
>>
>> Unless library updates don't depend on product updates shouldn't they be
>> kept separate?
>>
>> I don't know if it is something already done that is not explained well
>> enough or is not done at all?
>
> This will probably be too much work, especially because of the version
> mismatch problems.
> There are enough of these in FPC/Lazarus pair already.
>
> However, I sometimes wonder if it will make sense to duplicate
> some libraries into Lazarus repository.
> This way, those libraries can be developed fast without bothering
> FPC developers, who are very busy.
>> From time to time, FPC developers can merge library changes,
> similar to method used now in "fixes" branch.
> If they do not like some changes, they can simply not merge them,
> and everyone will be happy ;-)

Let's just wait for fppkg to come true. Trunk seems to be already
converted to the new fpmake and thus it might become part of 2.6 (if it
works stable enough) or the series after 2.6 (2.8 or even 3.0). Maybe
then it would make sense to move the fppkg enabled libraries into a
seperate svn repository parallel to fpc and lazarus... (just a thought)

Regards,
Sven