[Lazarus] Console App Development

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 23:19:34 CEST 2011

On 13 August 2011 19:45, Martin  wrote:

>> Yet, at least between a 0.9.29 binary I had lying around, and 0.9.30.1
>
> Both GTK2 ? For the opeing of a project with *m any* files?

Yes, the old 0.9.29 and new 0.9.30.1 versions of Lazarus was both
compiled against GTK2 widgetset.

> Obviously the speed isn't constant. New features get added, the may take
> time while loading.

New features don't always need to mean slower and more memory hungry.
Just look at Mozilla Firefox project. The last few versions came with
new features, but also with speed improvements and less memory hungry.
So it is possible. :)

> or getting faster only. Then many features could never be added (your
> elastic tabs, if ever done, might mean a slow down... / though that falls
> under the deferred-to-idle scans).

I've seen implementations of Elastic Tabstops (ET) that are slow and
others that are fast. There are different algorithms and
implementations to implementing ET. jEdit is quit fast at everything
(especially for a Java desktop app). They are introducing ET support
in their next version. I am very curious to see how fast that will be.

> In Laz trunk there where some speed improvements for project loading again

Excellent. I haven't really tried Trunk much since the 0.9.30 release.

> You mean between gtk2 and gtk1?

No, between Lazarus IDE and MSEide - how long it takes to create 100
or 200 tabs.

>>  - tab / editor screen update. The editor was "blank" for the duration
>> of loading
>
> The "blank" is partly intentional. Older lazarus did add tab by tab,
> updating tabs that wouldn't even be displayed. there was no point in that.
>  That change was made in the IDE, affecting all widgetsets.

Can't you have one tab as active, and add more tabs without changing
the active tab? Does LCL always set focus (active tab) to the newly
created tab sheet? That's what it looks like to me (when I tested
Friday at work).

> Very interesting.  I just added the 450 univint files to a project in mseide
> (though under windows, while all other tests where done under linux)

I only tested under Linux, so can't comment on the Windows version.

> It takes 15 seconds to open (so yes it is a little faster than lazarus, but
> not such massively)

Mine was a huge difference. I use the latest revision of MSEide. But I
don't follow to closely what Martin adds or changes to MSEide&MSEgui.
Just like with Lazarus IDE, I use MSEide as a stand-alone product
(editor) for my fpGUI based projects.

> All I know is, when I open the ide project (mseide ide project / whatever
> the projectfile is called) itself, and then try to open file, it always
> prompts me for missing form files or similar...

I remember I used to get those too, but don't any more. I think it was
related to search paths in the "Project Options | Debugger tab". Not
100% sure.

> as for it codetools equivalent:  Some thinks don't jump, but may be my
> config.

This works differently to Lazarus IDE. Lazarus always adds all code (I
think), even from FPC src directories. With MSEide you can tell it
what code it should parse to allow navigation of code. I think this is
what speeds MSEide up as well - by default it has less work to do.
This is setup under "Project Options | Debugger tab | Source
Directories tab". I have project templates that are already
pre-configured for what I want or need.

> anyway something bad about mse-ide. I only observe that some of the
> statements made before are not reproducible n my system.

That's understandable. MSEide has very different settings to Lazarus
IDE (just like any other IDE would have too). It took me a while to
find my way around MSEide. But now I am pretty efficient in using both
Lazarus IDE and MSEide. I often switch between the two at work -
sometimes even for the same project. At home I only run MSEide because
I have a aging Intel P4 laptop which is 8 years old, and MSEide is
just faster on it than Lazarus and uses much less memory. I don't even
run Gnome on my laptop any more. :)

  - Graeme -