[Lazarus] RE : RE : RE : Console App Development

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Aug 15 12:29:27 CEST 2011

On 15/08/2011 09:43, Ludo Brands wrote:
>> The attached patch creates a shared imagelist
>>
>> Please test and see what is the gain
>>
>> PS: this is a quick patch just for test. more cleanup can be done
>>
>> Luiz
>>
> Thanks, I'll test this later. As mentioned in my previous message, the
> memory used by the gutter symbols seems not to be growing in different
> unload/load cycles. My guess is that this will save 3M in the extreme test
> case we are using. The small chuncks are scattered over the heap which could
> make it difficult for the memory manager to release the memory to the OS.
> The impact could be bigger.

Yep, that should pretty much be the case (should...)

The problem in Lazarus (at  least SynEdit, but probably others too) is a
lot of memory constantly freed and released. also SynEdit allocates
tenthousands of small bits (e.g a string per line).

It's a dream of mine to optimize that. eg. to have synedit allocate a
bigger chunk, and have synedit use it knowlege about lifetime of data,
to organize it better.  But there is just to much other important work...