[Lazarus] Lazarus doesn't set IDE language correctly

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Aug 31 11:01:23 CEST 2011

Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> hat am 31. August 2011 um 10:23
geschrieben:

> Hi,
>
> I have changed my System and Gnome language settings to Afrikaans. I
> logged out and then back it to ensure the language change is correct.
> My whole Gnome desktop and GTK2 applications (gEdit, Firefox,
> OpenOffice etc) are now all in Afrikaans.
>
> Unfortunately Lazarus IDE isn't.  I have the language set to
> Automatic, but it still defaults to English. I can force it to
> Afrikaans, but what's the point of the Automatic setting then?
>
> Here is some console output to confirm Afrikaans is my language,  and
> the command line I use to startup Lazarus. This example shows me using
> Lazarus 0.9.30.1, but the problem also exists with the latest Trunk
> version of Lazarus.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> $ echo $LANG
> af_ZA.utf8
The LCL uses the gettext GetLanguageIDs function which returns the two values
'af' and 'af_ZA.utf8', so the translator searches for file.af.po and
file.af_ZA.utf8.po.
AFAIK it worked that way since many years.

I wonder, why has no one noticed the broken af_ZA, pt_BR, zh_CN translations
under Linux yet?

That's why I'm not sure where to fix it:
a) Rename the Lazarus language files - might break under windows
b) or strip the utf8 - might break existing applications
c) or extend the LCL translator to search additionally without '.utf8'.
 Mattias