[Lazarus] Petition to Skype

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Dec 6 11:26:24 CET 2011

Andreas Schneider <aksdb at gmx.de> hat am 6. Dezember 2011 um 10:47 geschrieben:

> On Tuesday, December 6, 2011, at 10:04 Bernd wrote:
> > 2011/12/5 Krzysztof <dibo20 at wp.pl>:
>
> >> SkypeKit has
> >> support only for C++, Python and Java and doesn't have for
> >> multiplatform Free Pascal >:(
>
> > Theoretically the skype developers should be aware of the existence of
> > Lazarus/FPC. As far as I know the Skype GUI on Windows is (was?)
> > written with Delphi and I assume that almost every serious Delphi
> > developer should already have noticed the existence of Lazarus and
> > Free Pascal.
>
> > Bernd
>
> I'm  not  so  sure  about that. If they actually knew FPC/Lazarus they
> would  have  probably  invested  in  it instead of rewriting Skype for
> Linux,  MacOS,  etc.  _individually_  from  scratch. A common codebase
> would  have  certainly  made a lot of maintenance easier, even if they
> design the UI separately for each target platform.

The Linux version of Skype came out in 2003. They probably evaluated even
earlier. The LCL was not powerful enough at that time, the Windows version
barely started. The other choice at that time was Kylix, based on QT.

Free Pascal bindings would be great. Although C bindings would be
sufficient.Maybe there are no C bindings for the same reasons as for QT4.

Mattias