[Lazarus] Generic XML question

Marc Weustink marc.weustink at cuperus.nl
Wed Feb 9 11:23:14 CET 2011

Hi,
This is not a specific lazarus question, but since here might be xml
users, I'll ask it here.
At my work our software interfaces with a lot of different systems, some
of them communicate through a binary protocol and some of them use xml
to encode data. YEars ago we coded our own xml parser (creates an object
tree of elements found) / generator (generates xml form such tree)
Anyway each time I have to communicate with xml there are some "issues"
One system for instance doesn't like spaces before the first element or
a linefeed after the closing element. Another system ignores the xml
message when it encounters an not yet known element (its hard to
implement forward/backward compatibility this way). Yesterday I was
working on a new system and that one complained about unparseble xml
when I put some whitespace (space, linefeed) between the first opening
tag end the second opening tag.

Now I wonder, is xml supposed to be so strict or are this implementation
"issues"

Marc