[Lazarus] CGILazIDE cannot be found...

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue Feb 1 01:55:07 CET 2011

On 1/31/2011 13:41, Sven Barth wrote:
> While adding the path to CompilerOptions/Paths/OtherUnitFiles is a possibilty I
> personally don't consider it the "clean" way. Open the Project Inspector and
> click the "plus". Select the Tab "Dependency" and search for your Sdpo package
> in the combobox. Now click Ok. Your package will appear as dependency in the
> Project Inspector besides LCL (and maybe FCL).

i think there's a step missing in here... consider a total newbie's situation...
reading each and every word and step as it is written... "search for your [...]
package in the combobox. Now click Ok."... ummm... ok, it is found in the list
of packages... am i supposed to click on it and then click OK or am i just
making sure that it is listed??

i recall a time, way back yonder, when i discovered a major bug in the published
documentation of the Tandy 1000... this was a machine with no HD so it had to
boot off of a floppy disk in drive A:... after an initial season of selling
these machines, there was a flurry of people coming in with machines that would
not boot... careful questioning turned up that they were following the
documentation exactly as it was written... to whit (and from memory)...

"insert the master boot disk in drive A: and turn on the machine. once it is
booted, we need to make a backup copy of the master boot disk so that we will
use the copy instead of the master in case there are problems. type in 'format
a:' and hit enter. follow the prompts. when the process is finished, reboot the
machine with the newly made disk"

the problem was that they never told the new machine owner to place a blank
floppy in the drive! so everyone was formatting their master boot disks! it
didn't take me long to discover the problem and get it reported to Radio Shack
headquarters for them to figure out a fix... in the mean time, anyone who called
or came in with this problem was told to come by the store and they were given
two sets of boot disks... one to store and one to use... IIRC, i also told them
to bring their original masters and fixed them so that they contained their
original contents as well...

as many have found, the devil is in the details... especially the explicit
details that we, who have been doing this forever, assume that everyone knows
already :P