[Lazarus] following wiki for new clean install from SVN...

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Feb 9 02:13:40 CET 2011

On 2/8/2011 18:35, Marcos Douglas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM, waldo kitty<wkitty42 at windstream.net>  wrote:
>> 10. step 1: create the specified directories...
>>       md c:\freepascal\
>>       md c:\freepascal\binutils\
>>       md c:\freepascal\binutils\i386-win32\
>>       md c:\freepascal\fpc\
>>       md c:\freepascal\fpc\2.5.1\
>>       md c:\freepascal\laz\
>>     ok... 6 directories made...
> There is an one error:
> Change this c:\freepascal\fpc\2.5.1\  to c:\freepascal\fpc\2.4.3\
>
> I changed on the wiki.

yes, i saw the note on another list about some changes...

>>     b. Dir: c:\freepascal\fpc\2.4.3
>>        wait... i don't have a c:\freepascal\fpc\2.4.3 directory... ok...
>> let's
>>        create it real quick...
>>          md c:\freeepascal\fpc\2.4.3
>
> Oh, you saw...  =)

well, kinda had to since the instructions for the SVN update pointed to a
different directory ;)

>> 18. step 6: execute makelaz.bat to make lazarus... utoh! problem... i
>> suspect
>>     the fpcmkcfg command line in 16a2 to be in error... when i compare the
>>     posted fpc.cfg in the wiki with the one generated, the paths are
>> different
>>     in the generated one... they all contain "\bin\i386-win32" which is not
>> in
>>     the one posted on the wiki...
>>     a. here's the output and the error i get...
>
> Copy fpc.cfg script on the page... it works.

i've done that and yes, it does work... however, the (buried) question is if the
commandline's basepath= is incorrect...

>> i've done this a couple of times and get the same error... however, fixing
>> the paths in the fpc.cfg to remove the "\bin\i386-win32" portion put there
>> by the above fpcmake command in 16a2 seems to fix this problem...
>>
>> is the fpcmkcfg command in 16a2 incorrect? should the basepath simply be
>> "C:\freepascal\fpc\2.4.3" or will this cause other problems??
>
> I use the script on the page... the fpcmkcfg was included later (by
> someone), but I not tested.

ahhh... can you say if, as asked above, the basepath= portion is what is in error??

FYI: i'm looking to expand on the given instructions to include what is
necessary to add cross compilation from OS whatever to OS something else... i
hope that there's only a few minor changes needed... FPC is already placed into
its own directory with an i386-win32 path... what would be needed to add
i386-GO2V2 and i386-OS2 to the instructions? those are examples but are my
target platforms so they serve as live examples :P

i note that the lazarus does not seem to take into account the target OS and so
simply takes the whole freepascal/laz directory to hand... what is needed to
configure it for i386-win32, i386-GO2V2 and i386-OS2??

>> correcting the 13 instances to remove the "\bin\i386-win32" portion allow
>> makelaz.bat to execute and there appears to be a valid executable at the
>> end... i'm even able to create, compile and execute the two button "your
>> first lazarus program" tutorial (when i can locate it in the wiki) so i
>> assume that i have a valid fpc and lazarus environment...
>>
>> am i missing anything? what about cross-compiling capabilities? i should be
>> able to add OS/2 and DOS to this setup pretty easily, right? i know i need
>> libraries and such for them to get started with... are there step by step
>> instructions that will meld with this layout??
>>
>> thanks for reading... i hope this one wasn't off topic or otherwise
>> undesired as so many of my past posts seemingly have been...
>
> Please, try again. I saw the wiki instructions. I think just the path
> (\2.5.1 to \2.4.3) was wrong (before, at the first time, I used the
> 2.5.1 compiler. After I changed to 2.4.3 and I forgot to change the
> wiki... sorry).

not a problem... as noted, i got thru it other than the fpcmkcfg commandline
problem which i questioned originally... plus having the answers to
adding/moving the example method to support crosscompiling with little
modification other than holefully unzipping compiler X and libs Y would be a
huge godsend ;)