[Lazarus] SdpoSerial port open problems

SteveG steveg at nevets.com.au
Thu Feb 10 10:54:13 CET 2011

> But when I involve a USB connected serial port (which I have to do if
> I undock my laptop) I get all kinds of strange errors, basically no
> communications at all! I have two different ones but both are
> problematic (ATEN RS232USB and SUNIX 4-port ComHub).
>
> Do you know of any problems related to SynaSer via USB connected RS232
> adapters on Windows7 or WindowsXP?
>
> Right now I am moving the Lazarus application around to different
> computers (real and virtual) and different COM ports (real or USB
> connected) to try to figure out why it is so hard making it always
> work. And this is when I found that I tried ports that were already
> reserved for the virtual machine or actually unplugged without
> SdpoSerial saying anything about it....

Dont know if its any help at all, but I am also having serial port
problems using USB adaptors.

I am developing under Ubuntu using synaser and have found that I can
only connect to the port about once every 5 or so trys.

Cant say if it is directly related SynaSer/ USB adaptor though, as I
dont have an onboard one to test against.

side notes -
if I use 'serial port terminal' it connects every time.
if I use 'cat /dev/ttyUSB0 > /tmp/test.txt' it tends to not connect more
than it connects (similar to synaser)

Suggests it may be necessary to 'reset' the port somehow before using
I have a small sample program for testing if anybody wants it

SteveG