[Lazarus] Does Lazarus support a complete Unicode Component Library?

José Mejuto joshyfun at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 20:13:45 CET 2011

Hello Lazarus-List,

JH> Do you mean that the compiler should convert the strings as needed in
JH> the background (as between different integer types and/or floats) so
JH> that you can call ListBox1.Items.Add(x) with x beeing UTF8string or
JH> UTF16string or...? I am not sure whether this is a good idea because the
JH> programmer no longer knows how many conversions take place and therefore
JH> cannot judge the performance impact anymore. On the other hand it would
JH> make the life easier for beginners.

I'm unable to see the "great" problems with "UnicodeString". The
conversions should be the minimun needed, and they will be. Problem
would be in the RTL, but not at user level. You say that the
programmer will not know how many conversions take place, that's
right, but I think they are garanteed to be the minimum except in some
corner cases like "CompareText(UTF8String,WideString)" as one of both
must be converted, but whichever one, could be a fixed situation or
platform dependent, I do not know.

Many people are concerned about "speed" due hidden conversions, so can
anybody tell me why ? Maybe I'm blind and I can not see something that
is absolutly a problem (except some pieces of RTL).

--
Best regards,
 José