[Lazarus] Test the Lazarus fixes_0_9_30 branch

John Stoneham captnjameskirk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 15:46:33 CET 2011

Can you clear this up for me?

Here's the way I understand it.
- Even numbers are reserved for stable releases: 0.9.28.2 is the current
stable release.
- Odd numbers are used for the development branch: 0.9.31 is the current svn
development branch. (Why isn't it 0.9.29 then?)
- Fixes branch is for locking features and fixing bugs before a stable
release, basically the RC branch. So fixes_0.9.30 is... wait, on the
snapshots page it says fixes_0.9.29. What happened to fixes_0.9.30?

So 0.9.31 in svn is what will eventually become the 0.9.32 stable release,
right? That means it contains things that are being developed beyond (and
will not be in) 0.9.30. And fixes_0.9.29 is what will be 0.9.30 stable,
correct? But at some point a few weeks ago (I assume before the fixes branch
was created) the svn branch was 0.9.30, wasn't it? And didn't this thread
start out calling the fixes branch fixes_0.9.30?

I don't know, I'm still confused. I guess the way I would do it, so that it
made sense to me, is to always have what will be the next stable release as
trunk. So trunk would now be numbered 0.9.29. And have a branch numbered
0.9.31 for the development version containing things that are being worked
on for a still future release. So when 0.9.30 is released, the branch
numbered 0.9.31 would then become trunk. When it gets close to the time to
release 0.9.32, branch off a development 0.9.33. And so on.

But that's just the way my mind works, which means it would make sense to me
but maybe not to someone else.

I think as long as there's a clear indication in the wiki about what the
numbering system means, then that should be sufficient.

--
John