[Lazarus] Does Lazarus support a complete Unicode Component Library?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 07:54:58 CET 2011

Op 2011-02-16 20:25, Sergei Gorelkin het geskryf:
> In Delphi, UnicodeString is a very separate type, something close to the
> current FPC design.
> It has BytesPerChar and Encoding attributes, but they are fixed to 2 and
> 1200 respectively and their purpose is unclear (to consume memory?

Now that to me is just stupid!

> I'm afraid that due to this "compatibility" we're doomed to clone the
> Delphi implementation whatever crappy it is :(

If so, then I wouldn't waist any more of my time on working on the
cpstrnew branch (which I have been doing quietly on my own). If I'm
going to invest time in something, I would hope to make it as best I
can, and intuitive at the same time - fixing mistake found in other
products/languages. Simply cloning a rubbish design for the sake of
cloning, is not why I got into programming in the first place!

Hans-Peter also raised a valid point. FPC had a goal to be Delphi 7
compatible, so that should leave use open to me inventive and learn from
post-Delphi 7 mistake, and make FPC even better than Delphi 7+. If FPC
just wants to be a Delphi clone, then why use FPC - just switch to the
"real" thing [Delphi]. They'll have cross-platform support soon.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/