[Lazarus] Size of program executable very big...

Paul van Helden paul at planetgis.co.za
Fri Feb 18 12:37:39 CET 2011

The "Use external gdb debug symbol file (-Xg)" linking option works well for
me. It creates a 30MB .dbg file and a 5.4MB executable for my current
project.

With this set, the "strip symbols from executable (-Xs)" option has no
impact and unchecking the -gl option only shaves of 6KB!

> No, that would be a bug. "Compile" let the compiler compile all new,
> "Build" recompiles all units of the project.

When I click Run, a lot of untouched units are recompiled every time... What
exactly is the difference between "Run", "Build", "Build all" and "Quick
compile"?

When I do a "build all", it takes 10 seconds for my project. Then I touch an
insignificant unit and most, but not all, units are recompiled. 6 seconds.
"Quick compile" and "Build" seem to be doing the same as "Run" (without
running of course).

> You can define a second build mode "release" and enable whatever
> optimization you think is appropriate for your customers.
>

> This is a great new feature.

Regards,

Paul.