[Lazarus] Does Lazarus support a complete Unicode Component Library?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sat Feb 19 03:09:48 CET 2011

On 2/18/2011 11:02, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 02/18/2011 04:12 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>>
>> I see no chance for "hard to detect" problems, when some code has been broken
>> since ever.
>>
> I don't feel that the legacy (non-Unicode aware) instruction
> MyChar := MyString[Lengt(MyString)];
> to get the last character of a string is broken since ever, but I do feel that
> it has been used in thousands of projects.

indeed! i just used it yesterday to locate the last character of a string in a
tstringlist... specifically, massaging mime text back into ASCII 7 or 8 bit
text... specifically, for the removal of the trailing mime equals sign
indicating line-wrap at a specific spot...

"we don't want/need no mime mess... give us the trademark symbol as '(tm)' and
the copyright symbol as '(c)' and we're just fine."

the above comes from several blind folk who still use braille writers for
reading their messages because text-to-speech stuff is still too expensive and
they simply cannot do GUI stuffs...