[Lazarus] Lazarus and SPARC Solaris

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 21:54:33 CET 2011

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Lazarus ground to a halt after a week with a linking error (gld: cannot
> find -lgdk_pixbuf), I suspect that Solaris only has this for gtk v2.
>
> I'm going to wrap up some year-end maintenance work and then get Solaris
> onto a faster system before continuing. I'll be back.

Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be possible to get Lazarus
onto an *unmodified* Solaris 10, and I don't know the situation with
later versions. Building for gtk fails because gdk_pixbuf v1 isn't
shipped with the OS, and building for gtk2 fails because libcairo isn't
shipped.

libcairo is available from http://www.sunfreeware.com/ but lists as a
prerequisite a version of gcc later than is shipped with Solaris 10. Qt
3.3.4 is available, but I presume this is too old to be useful and again
it has a list of prerequisites. I'd much rather not get into the game of
trying to compile libraries from scratch- perhaps whoever was asking on
StackOverflow would like to help out.

Graeme: what is the position building Lazarus using makefiles with
fpGUI? Is this worth trying?

I'm going to see how many of the FPC packages I can compile, but testing
will be (extremely) limited because of missing libraries (e.g. gtk2
examples assume cairo is available). Perhaps when some of the dust has
settled from Oracle's acquisition of Sun I'll try OpenSolaris, but at
present the status of this appears unclear.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk