[Lazarus] Project conversion Delphi -> FreePascal: success!

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 00:46:45 CET 2011

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:39:00 +0200, Juha Manninen
<juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> wrote:

>2011/1/3 Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com>
>
>> Really great! I have a similar problem in conversion to FPC/Lazarus of
>> a visualization package of physical data. But this package uses number
>> crunching DLL:s created using an Intel Fortran compiler...
>>

>Bo, so you finally didn't get your Fortran code converted to Pascal.
>What was the main problem?
>
>Juha

Well, there were two different problems:

1) My intrinsic lack of Fortran know-how

2) The fortran code failed to translate when it turned out that
Fortran could change the type of a matrix multiplication depending on
the dimensions of the two input matrices.
Sometimes the output was a simple vector and sometimes a true 2-d
matrix and I failed to undretand how to translate these functions.
It seemed like Fortran didn't give a damn about variable types and
since Pascal is so strongly typed this made a big clash.

I converted a fair amount of them but when I reached this problem I
had a lot to go and gave up.....

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden