[Lazarus] No FPC sources on lazarus start....

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 5 09:38:44 CET 2011

Am 04.01.2011 20:24, schrieb Bo Berglund:
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:10:26 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
> <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk>  wrote:
>
>> David Emerson wrote:
>>> Sounds like you installed the compiler part, but not the fpc sources.
>>>
>>> Try here: http://www.freepascal.org/down/source/sources.var

>> I don't know whether this is any help and it is oriented towards Linux,
>> but I'd add that I normally build FPC from source, in part because doing
>> so is a good test that the compiler is working on the machine in
>> question. Having done so I do a  make install  and check that the
>> symlink in /usr/local/bin is OK, then  make clean and copy the fpcsrc
>> directory into the appropriate place in /usr/local/lib (I'm being
>> intentionally vague here since this will vary depending on version number).
>>
>> Having done that, one is left with a consistent tree of binaries and
>> source. Start Lazarus with the --pcp= option so that the IDE you're
>> running uses a private configuration file that specifies how it can find
>> the matching compiler.
>>

> I have just downloaded the 2.4.2 source zipfile and now I have the
> problem of extracting it to the right location...
> My FPC install dir is C:\Programs\fpc\2.4.2\
> Where should I put the sources?
> In a subdir to this named source?
>
> The zipfile expands to a top folder named fpc-2.4.2, which obviously
> is not my install folder name....
> And inside there are no subdirs named source or anything like that.
>
> Advice please?

The top folder (fpc-2.4.2) should contain directories like "compiler",
"rtl", "packages", etc. The best place would be to put those into your
"C:\Programs\fpc\2.4.2" directory and point Lazarus' FPC dir setting to
that directory (then everything is where it belongs ^^).

Another possibility (your choice) is to put all those directories into a
"source" directory in "C:\Programs\fpc\2.4.2" and point Lazarus to that.

You are pretty free here, but Lazarus checks that "rtl" and "packages"
directories exist in the set source directory.

Regards,
Sven