[Lazarus] What are "widgets" in lazarus?

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Thu Jan 6 10:23:57 CET 2011

On Thursday 06 of January 2011 09:35:25 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> That's OK in the context of FPC and Lazarus, but "Widget" and "widget
> set" are generally-understood terms in the overall-context of unix-like
> operating systems.

That's ok in any context. Widget = Visual control in any gui library (at least
under unix), so under qt widget = QWidget and descendants, under gtk widget =
GtkWidget and descendants, under lazarus Widget = TWinControl and descendants.
What's unclear here ? That we have TWinControl instead of TWidget ?

> If Bo goes to his system supplier and asks which widget set is installed
> and they ask what he means, he isn't going to get very far by starting
> to talk about TWinControl etc. Instead he needs to say something along
> the lines of "what's on there- GTK or Qt, and what version?".

Yes, WidgetSet is not TWinControl (so no need to explain what's TWinControl
etc) , but gui library which provide native widgets, so correct answer to such
question could be qt,gtk,win32,carbon,fpgui etc.

zeljko