[Lazarus] What are "widgets" in lazarus?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 21:31:46 CET 2011

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>> Yes, it will definitely be a new "platform". fpGUI would then have eg:
>> GDI, X11, SDL etc. as backends.
>
> I think it makes more sense to skip SDL and directly use the linux
> framebuffer.
> Eliminate a layer. You already have direct support for all other
> 'platforms' that SDL supports, so why add another (changing)
> dependency/point of failure?
> It may be initially harder, but will prove easier to maintain in the
> long run.

For what it's worth, I agree. If fpGUI goes directly to the framebuffer
it will be usable with almost all Linux systems, while if it requires
SDL there might turn out to be version requirements which prevent it
from working in some cases.

FPC and Lazarus are, by and large, pretty simple to build. Middleware
such as SDL can be far more difficult because it can turn out to have a
cascade of requirements, and in the past I've found things like TrueType
to be particularly painful.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk