[Lazarus] Forum under attack

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 22:26:44 CET 2011

Marc Weustink wrote:

>> that and possibly even special questions that only humans can answer...
>> what forum software is it? my phpBB3 gets beat on daily but no spammers
>> have been successful at getting in... then again, my IDS/IPS also has
>> special rules to detect such attempts and blocks them at the perimeter
>> so they don't beat the forum server to death ;)
>
> This doesn't prevent password guesses.

How about a Capcha that was a coding problem?

When I worked for a mainframe company I sat a developer's aptitude test,
and one of the questions showed a set of nested functions in a
Pascal-derived language with the question being what value does variable
A have at point X. I wonder whether that type of problem could be turned
out by software, and whether they could be chosen to be difficult enough
to defy automated solution but not so difficult as to deter new users?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk