[Lazarus] fpGUI

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 07:29:56 CET 2011

On Sunday, 16. January 2011 01.21:01 Marcos Douglas wrote:

> I do not understand why Delphi and Lazarus were made like this. Would
> be more easy to write Forms and Widgets just with Pascal code...

The separation of code and user interface definitions has advantages.
For example it is possible to edit and update the form layout without touching
and parsing the code. The form layout can be modified language specific by
resource dll's/so's. There is no danger that one destroys the the definition
structure in source by accident. There is no danger that the IDE destroys the
source code by accident. With a streaming mechanism the components have
better possibilities to specialize and optimize their behaviour without aid
of the IDE. Graeme must write for every component dedicated IDE integration
code AFAIK.
Graeme probably will encounter the limitations of his approach when he tries
to implement more sophisticated RAD possibilities into fpGUI. Visual form
inheritance and submodules (TFrame) come to mind for example.

Martin