[Lazarus] fpGUI

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Jan 16 16:33:28 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 03:37:54PM +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 13:46 +0100, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>
> > If you can't edit it, and must maintain the designer data outside the main
> > unit source, I fail to see the advantage of this approach.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your statement or how it relates to what I
> wrote.

I don't understand what you don't understand :-)

Anyway, one can indeed use pseudo directives for this. But the parser still
needs to be hardened against accidental edits.

Moreover, I still fail to see the advantage at all.

> like what you would do in business objects... Only make visible what you
> really want visible. In the case of a Form, I would rather introduce
> some public property to extract whatever info it needs from the GUI
> components - instead of having the developer go Form.Button1.Tag....
> Why? What happens if I remove that button, or rename that button?

You will also have to review that extra property and related code, so while
.tag is not the nicest solution (and I rarely use it), the problem is IMHO exaggerated.