[Lazarus] Where is a list of valid options for lazarus make?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 10:49:13 CET 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 08:58:31 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> In a recent post reply I was adviced to "make bigide" in order to
>> include the SQLdb components on lazarus.

>Look, if you have a problem with a command it really would help if you
>quoted the bit you were having a problem with.

My problem is that I had no idea *what* command to use in order to do
what he suggested, namely to get the bigide into my Lazarus so the
SQLdb tab would appear...
No way to write down a command I am looking for in the first place...

>| If you build using make bigide, it will get included.  You can install
>| it by going to install/uninstall packages under the package menu.
>
>So earlier you're saying that you build using  make.exe clean all
>Now I'm sure that you don't need the .exe in that command, and if it

Sure, I just modified a full path to the fpc make executable by
removing the path when I had to change the environment variable PATH
to get it all to work. Could also have excluded the .exe part. But on
Windows both variants are exactly the same.

>were a unix-derived OS the command would be written as an example like
>
>$ make clean all
>
>Note that the $ is a prompt, you wouldn't type that. Now that command
>could be broken into two
>
>$ make clean
>$ make all
>
>At which point what is your problem with  make bigide  ?

My problem is that the command I used to create the lazarus exe file
was:

make clean all

This to me is ONE command and not two. But it uses two command
parameters.

Now I get a suggestion to instead use

make bigide

at which point I am afraid that it will create a lazarus that does not
have the features the original command created since the command now
omits the parameters "clean" and "all"

Notice that I am just blindly typing the commads specified on the
webpages outlining how to create the lazarus IDE from sources.

Have never before used make and do not know *how* it works. Only that
it collects some build information for the compiler to create the
target executable and then executes that compilation.

I have used Delphi on Windows since 1995 though starting with Delphi 1
and going up to Delphi 7 at which point we stopped upgrading because
of the strange stuff Borland/Embarcadero/Codegear put into the
releases...

>As I'm sure you've worked out, make is a program (binary, executable,
>whatever). It processes what is referred to as a "makefile" which is
>customarily named with a capital to make it stand out i.e. Makefile,
>MAKEFILE etc. Originally, makefiles were written by hand but today that
>is generally semi-automated, so you might find that  Makefile  is
>generated from  Makefile.fpc  or similar. Hence you will find a target
>in the makefile which reads like
>
>bigide: lcl packager/registration ideintf packager bigidecomponents
>idebig starter lazbuilder

So does this mean that whatever is put on the make command line are
going to be processed sequentially so make clean all actually splits
into two commands:
make clean
make all

In that case I can understand that either doing a
make clean all bigide
in the beginning or now when I only want the tab to appear execute the
last command:
make bigide
will be the same and create the tab for SQLdb. Correct????
--

Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden