[Lazarus] Accessing MS SQLServer database from Lazarus/FPC?

Vincent Snijders vincent.snijders at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 16:51:09 CET 2011

2011/1/21 Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 13:14:15 +0100, Vincent Snijders
> <vincent.snijders at gmail.com> wrote:

You forgot to quote this part:
> 2011/1/20 Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>
>> And with this whole mess I would end by saying:  And that is why you
>> will not see me ever use a Stored Procedure! 99.99% of the time they
>> contain business logic, which doesn't belong in the data layer of your
>> application in any case - you can't unit test that business logic.
>
> Why can't that business logic be unit tested ? I did it myself many times.
> It results into a more maintenable code(Object Pascal and SQL) and a high
> perfoming applications.

The above is off topic for the Lazarus: Why Graeme doesn't use stored
procdures and what valid and invalid reasons he may have for that.

>>This is off topic, please use lazarus-other list.
>
> My question was why a database component that ships with *lazarus*
> would not work with a perfectly legitimate SQL command (which we have
> used for years in Delphi with ADO).

That is on topic. How to use stored procedure with Lazarus.

> I assumed at first that I was doing something illegal or so for
> lazarus/fpc so I asked here. Did not think it would be off-topic.

AFAIK, in this thread you did not post off topic. And I did not say so.

> Is there a list of acceptable topics somewhere so one could check
> before posting?

No, there is no such list. Most people can decide for them self what
is on topic for the general Lazarus list. If they make a mistake and I
fear more may follow, I help to remind them that this the Lazarus list
and a discuss about anything list.

Vincent