[Lazarus] Accessing MS SQLServer database from Lazarus/FPC?

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri Jan 21 17:30:57 CET 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Frank Church wrote:

> On 21 January 2011 15:40, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 13:14:15 +0100, Vincent Snijders
>> <vincent.snijders at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> This is off topic, please use lazarus-other list.
>>
>> My question was why a database component that ships with *lazarus*
>> would not work with a perfectly legitimate SQL command (which we have
>> used for years in Delphi with ADO).
>>
>> I assumed at first that I was doing something illegal or so for
>> lazarus/fpc so I asked here. Did not think it would be off-topic.
>>
>> Is there a list of acceptable topics somewhere so one could check
>> before posting?
>>

> To get back on topic:
>
> Quite a number of Lazarus components are not designed as a toolkit to serve
> a wide range of programmer needs. It is clear that a number of them are
> developed for the programmers own needs. Even if they are capable enough to
> serve your needs, those features may not be well documented.

While I will not comment on the general validity of your statement, for
SQLDB it is certainly not correct. SQLDB was developed exactly to serve a
wide range of programmer needs. Of course, the engines we use ourselves will
be tested best, this is only natural.

That said, SQLDB is under continuous development; The current case was not one
which we were familiar with, so it is entirely possible that it doesn't
work currently. That doesn't mean we're not open to fixing it, and
enhance SQLDB in the process.

So, in that spirit:
Unless I have missed it in the SQL syntax sidetrack debate, I still haven't
seen the original poster's error message, which I asked for in the very first
reply to his original post.

Without the error message, we cannot begin to start looking for a solution.

Michael.