[Lazarus] fixes_0_9_30 on Windows NT4 does not build

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 10:59:35 CET 2011

Vincent Snijders wrote:
> 2011/1/22 Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk>:
>> I've installed the binary of FPC 2.4.2 on Windows 2000 and Windows NT4
>> without problems. I've done an svn export of Lazarus and this builds and
>> runs fine on W2K, but on NT I get
>
> I think we should discontinue the support for Windows NT4.
>
> Microsoft doesn't support Windows 2000 anymore either, and I cannot
> download it from msdn either, so testing on Windows 2000 is getter
> harder too.

I can't argue with that but if I could make a couple of suggestions:

i)  If NT4 is phased out it might be worth retaining W2K for an extended
period, since I think that this is the final version that doesn't demand
activation. I suspect that there is a reasonable population of users who
favour it for that reason, but this might change if ReactOS matures.

ii) I can't produce figures, but I think that a significant number of
industrial (rack-mounted) computers were sold with one or other of those
OSes and in a high proportion of cases those will not have been upgraded.

If this turns out to be a tools issue it might be worth fixing, or at
least documenting as an understood problem. Or at the very least could
somebody point me at how to get a useful indication of what's actually
happening.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk