[Lazarus] Modal forms: block parent form or application

cobines cobines at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 00:00:33 CET 2011

2011/1/29 zeljko <zeljko at holobit.net>:
> On Saturday 29 of January 2011 09:29:02 cobines wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have two forms Form1 and Form2. Form1 is MainForm with
>> ShowInTaskbar=stDefault and Form2 has ShowInTaskbar=True, so they both
>> have taskbar buttons, I treat them as separate windows. I show a modal
>> form from Form2 which blocks the whole application. Is it possible to
>> have it block only Form2, so I can still activate and work in Form1?
>
> There are 2 kinds of modality (at least under qt, but can be applied to any
> X11 app ... don't know for win32 or mac how to do that).
> 1.Window modal
> 2.App modal
> So, with proper implementation it's possible to make
> 1.Form modal for 1 form eg. parent form
> 2.Form modal for application (usual behaviour).

I also think it is like that on GTK2, at least that's how I saw it in
one application (medit).

In Windows only parent window (and all its children I think) is
blocked, since each window is independent. For example, you can create
two windows and in both show modal dialog boxes and switch between
them via Alt-Tab, yet still have a third window completely
operational.

--
cobines