[Lazarus] DefaultTranslator, LCLGetLanguageIDs and Portuguese language trouble...

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 16:04:02 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Maxim Ganetsky <ganmax at narod.ru> wrote:
> 1. From Wikipedia I understood that there are substantial semantical
> differences between Brazilian and Portugal Portuguese. At least half of the
> people participating in this thread seem to share this opinion.

That's ridiculous, a list of different prefered words (note that both
versions are valid portuguese) doesn't make brazilian portuguese
ununderstandable for people from other portuguese-speaking countries.
Plus we aren't even talking about making a unified translation,
although this would be possible. If there is enough space one can even
add both variants, like: Mouse / Rato

Did you notice, by the way, that there is no brazilian or portugal
portuguese wikipedia? Just portuguese wikipedia? Also Mac OS X does
not have 2 separate translations.

Now, back to our topic, what is really at stake here is if the default
language for all portuguese speaking countries should be the current
translation or not. What is the default language made for? Obviously
that for people that don't speak english or have a hard time reading
it. For those you really intend to argue that english will be just as
hard to read like brazilian portuguese? This afronts logic.

Anyway, we can always agree to disagree. And if there is no agreement,
I propose a voting to solve this democratically. It can be added to
the forum like we have already done previously. I propose the wording:

For users from Portugal, Angola, Mozambique, Green Cape and East Timor
and other portuguese speaking countries, the default translation
should be:
a> English
b> Brazilian portuguese

Then the vote can decide the issue instead of having a unilateral decision.

> 2. If people in Portugal want to select Brazilian Portuguese translation,
> they can always do it. Yes, locale autodetect will not work for them, but it
> didn't work before too, so the current situation is not worse than before.

<sarcasm>Yes, sure, a user from Portugal which doesn't speak english
would have a much harder time trying to read brazilian portuguese then
it will have trying to read english</sarcasm>

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho