[Lazarus] FPDoc tracker

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Jul 15 16:14:42 CEST 2011

On 15/07/2011 15:53, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> For the remaining functionality I need some inspiration, how changes
> to the docs can be tracked. One useful tool can be Git, which allows
> to switch quickly between revisions of the XML files, and (possibly)
> can allow to find commits with updates of the docs.
>
> Since translated or otherwise modified docs do not correspond closely
> to the primary docs, I intend to track the "last compared" version of
> the primary docs along with every secondary doc file, so that a
> "What's New" feature can show all modifications to the primary files.
> For that purpose I need ideas, how changes can be detected at all.
>
> One solution were another directory, holding all "old" versions of the
> primary files, so that these files can be compared to the current
> versions. The comparison can be improved by checksums or similar
> means, so that a direct file-by-file comparison can be avoided.
> Perhaps also a "diff" tool can be used to find and report all
> differences between the files in these directories?

The 2ndary file could have a checksum of the node n the primary file.
then it can check, if the primary file was modified. The checksum must
be in a way, that ignores formatting, etc. (maybe even minor spelling fixes)

Maybe easier, if the primary file has a version (for each node), then
the 2ndary can simply store which version it currently reflects.
- With changes to the primary, the user can decide, if it is a new
version, or a spelling fix (version kept)
- With changes to the 2ndary, the user decides, if the version should
follow (or same as for primary, it was a spelling fix)

As for the checksum, I have a similar idea/wish, for checksumming the
source code documented, so one can find documentation which must be
updated, due to source changes.