[Lazarus] autocomplete broken?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Jul 9 23:51:28 CEST 2011

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 22:46:36 +0100
Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
>
> >> Sometimes after having typed a few characters if I press backspace the
> >> list is suddenly empty and won't be populated anymore. Also sometimes
> >> it won't complete when I press enter on the selected word, it will
> >> just close the list and  nothing else happens.
> >
> > "Sometimes" is very vague.
>
> It is not reproducible, but it also happens to me.

Yes, I know. But so far no one gave me a hint how to reproduce it and
it works here thousands of times daily.

> >> And very occasionally I
> >> have seen the list suddenly populated with what looks like error
> >> messages (the same error repeated for every list item but truncated at
> >> the end so I cant completely read them, I will try to make a
> >> screenshot when it happens again)
> >
> > This means a unit has changed that was used to populate the list.
>
> The message begins with "PaintCompletionItem: BUG in Codetools...".

This is what I guessed. It means the completion box refers to items,
which were already deleted in the codetools. So, strictly speaking the
bug is in the codetools or in some code accessing the codetools.

> The listbox contents change while typing, no units changed or anything else.

Well, the current unit changes.
I found a unneeded clean up.
Please test.

> >> This strange behavior seems to be new, I cannot remember that it
> >> behaved that way a few months ago (but I don't know the exact revision
> >> number, it would take a lot of time for me to find out).
> >
> > Without more details it would take everyone else even more
> > time.
>
> Please don't waste *our* time with untested modifications :-]

Extraordinary statement.

Mattias