[Lazarus] Documentation style

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sat Jul 23 17:59:14 CEST 2011

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>> Often I come across "circles", referring to circular unit references.
>> IMO the correct term instead would be "loops", in e.g. "avoid loops".
>
> AFAIK the correct term in graph theory is "cycle".

Sounds good.

>> Many descriptions only describe the obvious, like method names expressed
>> in more words. Such descriptions are quite useless, and should be
>> replaced by more informative ones. I'd suggest to remove all these
>> descriptions (replace by a todo-marker?), until somebody can describe
>> the elements better.
>
> I doubt that this should be done for all.
> What if the method just does what the name says?

Who can know that for sure?

>> The final documenation shows the element name, so that the short
>> description should not duplicate this name, IMO. Opinions?
>
> What do you purpose instead?

A description without duplication of the name. The need for a different
description can remove mental barriers, which otherwise can cause
repetition of the obvious.

>> Related: the FPDoc Editor IMO should always show the short description,
>> above the pages. Then it's easier to e.g. avoid duplication of the short
>> description in the long description.
>
> The short description is already shown above the long description.

Yes, I suggested that as a workaround. But the short description is not
editable in that page. I prefer to have the long description visible
while coding, and when I want to insert a missing (short) description, I
have to switch pages.

>> [...]
>> The same for parameters, whose separate descriptions are not normally
>> accessible in e.g. the FPDoc editor.
>
> ToDo. Please create a feature request.

Okay.

>> [...]
>> As already mentioned in another mail, all links to #LCL are broken now.
>
> I changed the #LCL to #LCLBase in the lcl xml files.

Argh :-(

DoDi