[Lazarus] RE : RE : RE : RE : RE : Lazarus on Solaris 10

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Thu Jul 28 13:15:52 CEST 2011

> Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> library is
> be found

> >> When you have installed fontconfig you'll have the fc-list command
> >> that lists the fonts available. On my system I have fonts in
> >> /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts with links from
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
> >> and /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts. Check in /etc/fonts/font.conf if the
> >> correct dir is specified. I don't have the fontconfig command
> >> neither.
> >
> > fc-list run as myself (i.e. non-root) returns nothing. Run
> as root it
> > returns a list of fonts. Run as root with
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
> > returns nothing. Think I've got a problem here...
>
> The situation appears to be that there are two distinct fontconfig
> systems, e.g.
>
> /usr/bin/fc-list
> /etc/fonts.conf
>
> and
>
> /usr/local/bin/fc-list
> /usr/local/etc/fonts.conf

Same on my system. Except that fonts.conf resides in etc/fonts/fonts.conf.

When you install fontconfig (from SFW) it assumes fonts are installed in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.
This is also the directory I find in /usr/local/etc/fonts/fonts.conf. But on
my system, as indicated earlier, this directory contains symlinks to the
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts subdirs.
The fact that you have different results as root and user is because you
adapted probably your PATH as user to include /usr/loc/bin. Which fc-list
gives you probably a different result as root and as user. If you run
/usr/local/bin/gtk-demo as root it will probably run.

The simplest solution to your problem is to change or add the
<dir>/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts</dir> entry in
/usr/local/etc/fonts/fonts.conf

> I can't simply do a hack like symlinking the two fonts.conf files
> together, something's incompatible at a lower layer.

Agree.

> I'm going to check that  make bigide  works, but apart from
> that I think
> it needs the involvement of somebody with more SPARC/Solaris
> experience
> than I've got, e.g. whoever was asking about the availability
> of a port
> on StackOverflow a few months ago.

Please try above. You're almost there.

> It's not so much that I can't afford to put much more time into this
> one, but that to have something manageable it needs to be
> predictable,
> i.e. while installing a sequence of SFW packages is OK in
> principle it's
> not going to benefit Lazarus if that breaks things, or if the result
> still needs an indeterminate amount of tweaking before it works.
>
> > One positive thing that I can report is that  lazbuild
> --help  returns
> > sensible output, even using the default (GNU?) linker.

The error came up when initialising the gtk+ engine...