[Lazarus] Determining OS

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 19:29:58 CEST 2011

2011/7/31 Chris Kelling :

> $ lsb_release seems to give good information, my Fedora 15 machine returns
>
> LSB Version:     :core-4.0-ia32:core-4,0-noarch

Specify some of the other parameters in the 'lsb_release' command and
you will get the exact information your are looking for, on any distro
that supports LSB standard.

> Say what you will about the windows registry, but at least there’s a common
> place to look for and put information.

Well yes, it's very easy if you own the OS and there is just one or
two controlled version of that OS. This applies both to Microsoft and
Apple. The benefit of closed source OS's. If you want to apply the
same principle, then you need to compare various Ubuntu releases to
each other.

The LSB (Linux Standards Base) and the FreeDesktop.org standards are
trying to make all distros more compliant with a set of standards -
making the life of any ISV and lone software developer MUCH easier.
LSB and FreeDesktop.org are supported by most mainstream distros (for
years already). If your distro doesn't, use something better, or email
the maintainers of that distro and demand better standardization.

  - Graeme -